Prior to the Second World War there were several teams that competed locally using the Whyteleafe name notably Whyteleafe Junior FC and Whyteleafe Albion. Whyteleafe Albion competed for many years but the club folded several years before the Second World War. A new club, simply called Whyteleafe FC, was formed in 1946.
Whyteleafe Juniors 1912/13
The new club commenced Junior football as members of the Caterham and Edenbridge, the Thornton Heath & District and the Croydon Leagues. Of these early years season 1951/52, was the most successful, with a strong 'Leafe line-up becoming Thornton Heath League champions, winners of two local charity cups and runners-up in both the Surrey County Junior Cup and the League Cup.
Whyteleafe FC 1948/49
Two years later they progressed to the Surrey County Intermediate League (Eastern Division) and were Division 1 champions in 1955/6. 1958 saw the significant transition from 'Junior' to 'Senior' status and entry into the Surrey Senior League. This change required the club to move from the New Barn Lane School ground which was inadequate for senior football and with a dynamic committee under the leadership of Secretary Dick Baxendine, the club purchased approximately four acres of farmland in nearby Church Road, where the club still play today.
The original stand at Whyteleafe's old ground is still used by New Barn Lane School and is clearly visible from Valley Road about half a mile north of the current ground.
NEW GROUND, NEW START
Many man hours of voluntary work was required by the committee and the members to raise the funds to not only purchase the land but to finance the change of the ground to a football pitch, as well as convert the existing Farm buildings into a clubhouse with bar and dressing rooms. The original scheme was to include a running track and a cricket table, but these proposals did not prove viable.
Play commenced on the ground in season 1959/60, and in the early sixties the club gained minor rewards with the reserve team playing under the guidance of former Crystal Palace hero Roy Greenwood.
THE 60's AND 70's
The next success came as the 1960s drew to a close which saw 'Leafe as Surrey Senior League Champions and runners up to Bracknell Town in the League Cup. These successes came under the guidance of manager Tom Sweetman with Les Brown the former Wimbledon and Guildford City amateur international as player-coach. Les later went on to become manager briefly.
Whyteleafe FC 1969
In the 1970s the floodlight training area and stand were built and in 1975, after seventeen happy years with the Surrey Senior League, the club moved into the London Spartan League, where the best they achieved was third place on two occasions in the six years of their membership. In 1981 the club joined the Athenian League and it was at about this time in the early 80s that the main pitch floodlights were installed and the dressing rooms were moved to a new location on the top bank enabling the clubhouse to be extended.